On 23rd October 1947, a meeting of 10 pioneers in the South Warrandyte Hall decided to form the South Warrandyte Volunteer Fire Brigade. With support from the local community, equipment, beaters, shovels, etc., were purchased over the next few years and kept in members' homes. In 1949, the Brigade was formally registered with the Country Fire Authority. In 1962, a Fargo Ute was purchased and built up as a fire truck by the volunteers. The ute was replaced by the first CFA supplied truck in 1963. This coincided with the original fire station being built on the present site.
A succession of vehicles followed as the Brigade built its professional reputation. A new three-vehicle fire station was erected using Brigade-raised funds in 1987. Our current vehicles are the most modern in the CFA fleet. Members train regularly to maintain relevant professional standards as the Brigade area becomes increasingly urbanised.
South Warrandyte members and vehicles have served at all major fires for many years including deployments throughout Victoria and in New South Wales. We support the Metropolitan Fire and Emergency Services Board (MFESB), Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE), Victoria Police, Ambulance Services (metropolitan and rural) and State Emergency Service (SES).
The brigade currently has 3 appliances - 1 pumper, 1 tanker and 1 car.